Friday, July 25, 2008

And Then There’s Another

First, it was my cousin’s cervix, then, my niece’s bone marrow, then, my Mama’s breast, my Mama’s cousin’s breast, and finally, (or so I thought), my Papa’s brother’s colon. And just when we thought the shopping was over, my Mother’s brother’s nose came next.

Blast it! My uncle has got cancer—and one that is rare—nasal cancer. And he is 72 years old, for goodness’ sakes! Grabe na jud ni!

He had difficulty breathing. He could not eat properly, because swallowing the food was an effort. So, together with his wife and his daughter, he traveled all the way from their place to Davao to see his doctor. There was a mass in his nasal cavity, and the doctor performed a biopsy. The result: tumor. Malignant. His doctor advised surgery and then cobalt. They start clearing him for the surgery. He’ll be observed for a week to find out if his lungs and heart are up to it. And in a week’s time, they will dig.

I had always seen my Uncle as strong, agile even restless. At 70, he was still actively involved in the school he used to manage. He still taught, and was a member of the Board of Directors, and an insurance agent on the side, not to mention his activities in the church. He still traveled for business or pleasure or both. He was very healthy. Until now, that is.

I could say maybe it was old age. But then some live to be 90 and they don’t have cancer. Well, I guess, we all have our own way of dealing with old age. Or is it the old age has its own way of dealing with us? But then, their environment back in their place is also a suspect. When I think of their place, I think POLLUTION. Everywhere you go in that place, you smell no fresh air just fresh factory smell. At any time of the day. It is a pity really since that place is considered the most “progressive” in the province. When I go there, I could not prepare my respiratory system enough for the onslaught. So I would have to do quickly with whatever business I might have and then go.

On the other hand, they say cancer has no known cure yet, and there is no certainty as to its real cause.

I just hope my Uncle can deal with this ordeal the way he has faced all the other trials he had to face before.

And God bless him and his family.